Jul 26, 2014

Stay high not low. A drink on top of Vienna



Yesterday I traveled to Vienna back and forth from Budapest. I traveled 6 hours back and forth to attend the welcoming home party for a friend returning home from one year of study in USA. She held this very relaxed event in an amazing place, a small vineyard on the hills on the north part of Vienna. 

The place was amazing. Remote, but still in the city, obviously in one of the most affluent part of it, hills, nice houses, some vineyards, with small terraces serving wines and snacks. And the view from the top.



But what I liked most was the company and the people I met. While I was very glad to meet my former colleagues and meet their family, I found myself in the middle of Vienna finest people, relaxed, smiling, welcoming, cosmopolitan and very interesting to talk to.

I was the only non-Austrian at the table but they were most welcoming and open to hear about me, being a Romanian, working in Budapest, passing through adventure of working in Epamedia, same as Ulli and Beate.




Every one at the table was mesmerized by the view on top of the city in the warm summer afternoon light. A very funny and witty elder man joked with me about how nice is to be up there and see everything and everybody from top. Catching his idea I continued this parabola saying the everybody from down there looks up and wants to come here.

As we went through the day and evening approached we discussed inevitable about Romania's situation, our struggles and issues with lack of confidence in its future. About the fact that people like me are not feeling fit anymore in the sea of mud we navigate sometimes and the lack of perspectives for changing this in a better medium to raise the kids.

Later on, the light turned mild so I went with my camera and took some pictures of the charming surroundings and we had some more talk. At some point the elder man had to leave and as he was shaking my hand he pointed his finger towards the city below us and said to me while making a funny face: "Stay up here, don't go down there"

I wish, but how?