Jul 12, 2014

About how packing your luggage might get you a high IELTS score

Budapest, any given Friday morning

I am learning for my IELTS examination next week. Did I tell you, we are thinking of Australia? No, some other time maybe.

Anyway, subject is simple, in the Speaking band: "Talk a bout a daily routine". Time 5-6 minutes

Oh, really? OK, Let's take Thursdays evening.

"So, it is Thursday evening again and next day I am leaving home for the weekend to see my family. This is because I work in Budapest during the week, starting April 1st and in the weekends I go home, back to Bucharest. Sometimes, I work a week from Bucharest office also. I live in a hotel, life is easier and solution cheaper. I have also my own car with me in Budapest. So I have to pack my luggage as next day I check out from my room, go to the office, work half a day, take a taxi or my car, reach the airport and fly home. Stay for the weekend, have fun, Sunday evening pack again and fly back to Budapest Monday morning, going to the office straight from the work"

Simple, isn't it? But

"I have my suits, usually 2. And use about 6-7 shirts a week. Which needs to be transported and ironed. So, I use 3-4 suits plastic bags. And wire hangers. So making a decision every week about which suit to you take home, wearing it on the airplane, which one you leave here, which one goes to the cleaning. Same for the shirts. So, again, one plastic bag for the shirts leaving here. Here where? Right. Can I leave them in the car? Yeah, why not. Oh boy, I forgot, I have this event I need to attend when coming back so the car should be clean and empty waiting me at the airport. Or this is next week? OK, So one plastic bag for here, one for taking home. I have 3 shirts which looks decent, I will have to iron them anyway again, so it can stay here. Another plastic bag goes to the cleaning so I need to remember to take it out of the car when I arrive the garage and take it up into the office. Where should I put this one, all 3 are looking the same, God these shirts are heavy and the wire hangers hurt. OK, suits ready. What clothes do I have to take home? I have this backpack with roller, I don't want to carry too much. And I have to take back the mountain sport shoes, are futile now in the summer. And the bottle of wine. And the big bottle with sulfurous water Runa wants for her skin. What is this pack? Oh, God, I forgot, I have 8 boxes of powder child milk I carry for a friend every month. OK, let's leave back the mountain shoes here, some other time maybe. So what's staying here? I have the red suitcase it should be enough space. OK, throw everything else there. Tshirts, jeans, sport clothes, books, medicines, toiletries . Oh no, I can't put there my tooth shower, it is sensitive. So find a paper bag and leave toiletries out. Shoes, I have to many of those, slippers, pool slippers., remaining underwear and socks for next week. Good point how many do I have left? Open up, count, note, put it back. Computer, yeah, I have my own I keep with me in the hotel, to avoid carrying the office one. All other gear goes in the office bag. So, another computer to carry if I work from Bucharest next week. Power cables. Where should I put the computer's bulky power cable? Back pack. OK, what else? Oh no, the photo camera. Separate bag :( I am reaaaady! One last glance. Oh God, the pillows. Did I mentioned I bought 2 pillows from Ikea this week? 3 months fro my start  I decided I had enough struggle trying to sleep on the hotel's ones. How should I pack the pillows? Ah, the hotel has one spare pillow with a big plastic bag so I take that one :D. Now I am ready. I can go to sleep. But were is my pajama? Packed, of course. I open the suitcase take the pajama go to sleep. Next morning calling the bellboy. he's looking at me awkwardly. Justified I guess. I have: 3 suits plastic bag with approx 10 hangers, one reg big heavy suitcase, one absolutely packed heavy back pack on rolls. It is trolley though. One brown paper back with toiletries , One leather office back, heavy as hell carrying the computer, one photo bag with one heavy DSLR and two lenses. And one transparent plastic bag with 2 pillows. He carries everything down and I pull the car in front. Open the trunk. Only then the bellboy snaps ...."

Did I mention I have a bicycle permanently in my car?

I have written this in approx 30 min, you might have read it in 5. I don't know if this is a good enough response for a IELTS test, but we will see soon.

Am I complaining? Not really because in reality, after 3 months, my brain has developed its neural pathways, and I am not really thinking too much of it. I am just doing it