Feb 17, 2011

Me as a teacher

Prof Mircea Eremia, UPB, Energetica, 2005
Nobody was interested to hear about my sex life (thank God cause I don't know how I would have managed) so this is to you Alex.

I like to teach, I like to explain and lead people into discovering things. When I was a teenager I never thought I would be able to do this. Being a rather shy person during high school I never imaged myself pursuing a teaching career. It was only later, at the university, when I discovered and experience it. 

I first try it in the last year of university and then, after coming back from France and passing my exams, my mentoring professor asked me to do some seminars on his behalf. So I was a 24 y.o. person explaining technical things to students one year younger. I remember only the huge fear I experienced in the first minutes and that, at the end of first month, a former colleague came to me saying something like " you know, my girlfriend is in your class, maybe you can help her a bit ..." See, is never to early to start being tempted in this country :( I still don't know why the professor had this confidence in me. I guess the fact I was working my ass off to help him DTPying his book had a role in it ...
Two years later, after starting my first real job in press distribution, I had a management course which I paid as a personal development initiative. Two weeks after I finished they asked me to keep this further as a teacher. Did I refused?

Then was the Word, Windows, Excel and Corel Draw classes. Can you imagine someone paid me to be a teacher for that? And also later happened that I performed public meetings presenting products and money making mechanism in a multilevel marketing organization I was very actively involved in back in 1996.

What's left of it? Nothing much of teaching techniques but some very useful experiences, the ability of talking fearlessly in front of bigger audiences, a very structured approach to the information and a logic way to present it. All this made my life very easy much later when I had to lead people or perform hundreds of presentations in front of new clients.

And hopefully  this will help me in the most difficult task which began when my first kid reached the school age.